- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 1 package vegan cheddar shreds
- Optional: vegan mozzarella (half a wheel of Miyoko's vegan mozzarella is perfect)
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven & prepare pasta: preheat the oven to 350 F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente (not crunchy, but not perfectly chewy yet). Drain and return to pot. Meanwhile, prep the sauce.
2. Prep the roux: in a medium saucepan on medium heat, melt 3-4 Tbsp butter. Add 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, and stir until a ball of dough forms. Add the coconut milk in four parts, whisking to combine. It's ok if there are a couple small lumps, but try to whisk them out - we want a smooth, creamy sauce here.
3. Add flavor to sauce: off the heat, add package of cheddar shreds and 1 Tbsp mustard powder. Stir to combine. Once melted, add to drained pasta and stir to combine. If you have mozzarella, add to the pasta and sauce.
4. Prep casserole dish: grease bottom and sides of casserole dish with a Tbsp of vegan butter or with butter wrapper. Then add mac and cheese. Top with thin layer of breadcrumbs.
5. Bake: bake for 20-30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are a light golden brown. If they brown too soon, cover with foil.
6. Enjoy: let mac and cheese cool for 10 minutes before digging in. Enjoy!