- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (or 3-4 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 4-5 lemons
- 3-4 Tbsp tahini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds (optional garnish)
- Rehydrate chickpeas: put chickpeas in a medium saucepan and cover with an inch or two of water. Bring to a boil for 5 mins, then turn off heat and let sit for 1 hour. Then drain the water and add the chickpeas back into the pot.
Cook chickpeas: cover with 2-3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer with lid slightly ajar, this time for 3-4 hours.
- Roast butternut squash: meanwhile, peel and dice butternut squash. Toss with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, then roast at 350 for 30-60 mins, flipping halfway through.
- Blend & taste: put all ingredients into a blender (or large bowl if using an immersion blender) and blend until homogenous. Taste, and adjust as needed per suggestions above. Garnish with sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and olive oil if desired. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Keywords: hummus, butternut squash hummus, vegan hummus, vegan snacks