The best cookies ever, vegan or not. You will not know the difference between these and regular chocolate chip cookies, tried and tested on a group of teenage boys, my parents, and my carnivorous brothers.
- 1 package softened Miyokos Vegan Butter (plain, salted - if you can find unsalted, add an extra tsp of salt. Soften for at least 2-3 hours)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp good vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp aquafaba (the juice that comes in a can of chickpeas or white beans)
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking SODA
- 1 tsp baking POWDER (yes, this is different than baking SODA, and yes, you need both)
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules (such as Cafe Bustelo)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups chocolate chips or chunks (I like using two good dark chocolate sea salt bars, just check the ingredients to ensure it's dairy free)
- If you like nuts in your cookies, go for it! Chop into similar size pieces as chocolate
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl, and stir thoroughly to distribute.
- In bowl of stand mixer (or mixing bowl), combine softened butter, sugars, and vanilla. Once mixture if homogenous, take note of the color and mix until 2-3 shades lighter, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add aquafaba/bean juice in increments of 2 Tbsp, mixing in between.
- Once the wet ingredients are well combined, add dry ingredients in 3 parts. Start your mixer on lowest power first to keep from making a mess. Once combined, add the next third, scraping down sides between sets.
- Using a spatula, fold in chocolate chunks and/or nuts. Get ready for an arm workout, this dough is thick.
- Scoop dough into balls using an ice cream scoop, and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 F. Cut dough ball in half, and place onto sheet (mine fits 6 half dough balls at a time). Bake for 10-13 mins, or until edges are slightly brown. Don't bake too long - vegan butter doesn't brown as thoroughly as regular butter.
- Let cookies rest on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Once on rack, add a small pinch of flaky sea salt. For best results, let cool for an additional 10-20 minutes. They'll still be warm, but the flavors will meld a bit more.
WARNING: Yield may be less than prescribed if you have an insatiable sweet tooth like me. The dough is delicious in its own right.
Keywords: Vegan chocolate chip cookie, Vegan chocolate chip cookie dough, cookies, chocolate chip cookies, cookie dough, plant based