This is my great-gran's original recipe.
- 1 stick vegan butter (8 T) (I like Miyokos)
- 1 T horseradish
- 6 T Worcestershire sauce
- 6-8 T ketchup
- little lemon juice
- little Tabasco sauce
- 2 heads cauliflower
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the steak sauce:
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add horseradish adn Worcestershire sauce and cook until it thickens, about 10 mins.
- Then, stir in ketchupk, lemon juist, and Tabasco sauce and cook over low heat.
- Cover the top - it will pop!
- Delicious as a marinade while grilling.
For the cauliflower steaks (each cauliflower usually yields 2 good steaks, plus extra cauliflower for sautéing etc.)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Prepare cauliflower - remove most of the big leaves but DO NOT remove the base of the stem yet. There will still be a few leaves - that's ok. Place cauliflower head right side up (like a tree) and slide through the middle. 1/2 - 1 in to each side of your first cut, make another slice. These should be your two main steaks. Remove the stem and remaining leaves. You can still roast/sauté the rest of the cauliflower if it doesn't stay together.
- Sprinkle cauliflower with salt and pepper, and rub on some olive oil. Roast for 20-30 mins on each side, or until soft (pierce with a fork to test)
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan. When hot, place cauliflower steak in the pan (like you would an actual steak), and let cook for 3-5 mins on each side, or until it starts to brown.
- Top with steak sauce, and enjoy!