This easy vegan sandwich is one of my go-tos when I have leftover pesto, greens, or tomato. Sometimes I'll make pesto just for this sandwich!
The Bread: I highly recommend a buying loaf from your local bakery. Alternatively, you can use whatever you have on hand. I use whole wheat.
- Basic Pesto
The Vegetable Bed:
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- 2 thin slices tomato
- Small handful greens (I use spinach or kale)
- Lightly toast your bread. The timing will depend on the type of bread. I recommend setting your toaster to one of the lowest settings, and doing 2 or 3 rounds if needed.
- Meanwhile, slice your avocado and tomato into thin slices.
- When the bread is ready, slather a generous helping of hummus on one side, and a light layer on the other. Add a little pesto (or a lot) to the side with light hummus. This helps keep the pesto from leaking out of the holes in your bread.
- Finally, layer on the tomato on one side, and avocado on the other. Add a small handful of greens, and carefully put the sides together. Voila!