This healthy mango chickpea buddha bowl is the perfect power lunch between meetings or adventures. It's sweet, tangy, protein packed, and only takes 15 minutes!
- Coconut lime rice or grain of choice
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 ripe mango, cubed
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups edamame beans
- Sesame seeds
- Cucumber slices
- Carrot shreds
1. First, prepare coconut lime rice or rice of choice. Warm coconut milk and water in a small saucepan. When it boils, add rice and simmer for 12-15 minutes covered, until all the liquid has absorbed. Add lime zest and lime juice, then fluff and serve!
2. While the rice is cooking, prepare your dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. This peanut sauce is fantastic, but if you prefer something else, lemon tahini and cilantro lime dressings also work.
Pro tip: if you're not a big fan of dressing or don't have time to make one, use hummus instead!
3. Now prep the proteins. If needed, defrost edamame in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. 1 Tbsp of water for every 1/2 cup of edamame works well. Or blanch in water for 2-3 minutes or until warmed thru. Drain and rinse canned chickpeas.
4. To cube mango, stand up on its bottom, and cut the sides away from the pit. Think about the way you'd cut an avocado, except into thirds instead of halves. Without cutting thru the skin, score a criss-cross pattern in the mango to make cubes. Then turn mango inside out by pushing up on the skin. Gently slice thru the cubes to remove from skin.
5. To slice avocado, cut into half lengthwise (like a hotdog bun). Carefully remove the pit with your knife. Scoop avocado flesh out of skin and place flat-side down on cutting board. Slice thinly lengthwise.
6. Finally, assemble buddha bowl. Start with rice, mango and avocado. Then add edamame, chickpeas and sesame seeds for protein. Top with dressing of choice & enjoy hot or cold!
*Can use hummus in lieu of dressing in a pinch
Keywords: chickpea buddha bowl, buddha bowl, mango buddha bowl, healthy buddha bowl, plant-based buddha bowl, nut-free buddha bowl