Spicy peppers combine with creamy roasted eggplant to create a spicy vegan dip, AKA baba ganoush. Make it over the weekend and pair with crackers or veggies for a healthy mid-week snack, or slather onto a sandwich or piece of toast for a light meal.
- 2 eggplants
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 red serrano pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 small garlic
- salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven & prep eggplant: preheat oven to 450 F. Then, cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Place onto a towel flat side up, and add a sprinkle of salt. "Sweat" or allow water to escape for 30 mins. Pat dry, place cut side down (skin side up) onto a baking sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes, then let cool.
2. Scoop eggplant & strain: when eggplant is done, scoop out of skin, and strain, discarding the juice. Place strained eggplant into food processor.
3. Blister peppers: place all peppers onto baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes until blistered. The blistering will help you peel the pepper. It's ok if there are most blisters than you see here.
4. Place in paper bag to cool & sweat for 10-15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. This will also help you remove the skin. Also remove seed and pulp, then place remaining pepper into food processor.
Finally, slice the top off of a head of garlic and roast for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes, then carefully squeeze cloves out of skin and into food processor.
Add tahini, spices and lemon juice, then pulse until roughly chopped, yet smooth. Salt to taste and enjoy!
Keywords: baba ganoush, vegan baba ganoush, vegan dips, vegan spreads, easy vegan dips, simple baba ganoush, baba ganoush recipe