- Kale, or whatever green you like
- 1 cauliflower head
- 4 ears of corn, kernels off the cob or 2-3 cups frozen corn defrosted
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2-3 bell peppers
- 1-2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 avocados for topping
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Olive oil - for roasting and sautéing
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice, rinsed thoroughly (DON'T SKIP THIS STEP)
- 1/2 onion chopped finely
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 cans Rotel
- 2-2.5 cups vegetable broth
- Optional: taco seasoning, cumin, chili powder, fresh cilantro for topping
Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 small avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Chop cauliflower into pieces a little smaller than a golf ball. Toss with olive oil, and a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Roast at 400 degrees F for 20 mins. Flip, and then roast for another 20 mins or until they start to brown and are fork tender.
Mexican Rice: Inspired by the Pioneer Woman - I changed it slightly to work better with brown rice, and vegan-ized.
- Chop 1/2 onion - smaller pieces are better. Peel and mince 3 cloves of garlic (or if you’re lazy like me, peel and use a garlic press to mince).
- In a large sauce pan, sauté onion until soft (~3 mins)
- Then add 3-4 cloves minced garlic. Let cook until you can smell the garlic (1-2 mins).
- Add brown rice (which you should’ve rinsed thoroughly, DON’T SKIP THIS STEP) and sauté for 3-5 mins, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 cans Rotel (drain if you don’t like as spicy) and vegetable broth. For a little more ~spice~ add a couple T of taco seasoning, plus 1-2 tsp of salt. If you don’t have taco seasoning, add a tsp of cumin with the salt, and maybe a little chili powder. If you’re don’t like spicy, avoid chili powder.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Generally, brown rice needs to cook much longer than white, so I started with 40 mins. After 40 mins, I taste test. If still al-dente, then give it 5-10 more minutes. Repeat if not ready. If not enough liquid, add some.
- Slice onion and pepper(s).
- Heat 1-2 T olive oil in a sauté pan, and add peppers first. Sauté for 3 mins, then add onions, and cook until onions start to brown slightly. They’ll be pretty soft when finished. Remove from pan and set aside
- Defrost frozen corn, or remove kernels from cob if using fresh.
- Heat 1-2 T olive oil in a nonstick pan, and add corn to pan when hot plus 1-2 pinches of salt. Stir every 1-2 mins until they begin to brown (usually 5-7 mins). Remove from pan and set aside.
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Blend all ingredients until smooth!
- In a bowl, add some kale and rice. Then fill in with veggies, corn, black beans, cauliflower etc.
- Smash avocado with a pinch of salt, and maybe a splash of juice from a lime wedge. Add dollop to bowl.
- Top with Cilantro Lime sauce. I like to mix mine up and then dig in!