This vegan version of a traditional alfredo sauce will blow your mind! The secret ingredient? Butternut squash. It blends into an irresistable velvety cream sauce...
- 1 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 3/4 cup softened raw cashews
- 1 shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme, or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 ladles of pasta water (3/4 - 1 1/2 cup, depending on your sauce and blender's power)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Salt to taste
- 1 lb fettuccine, bucatini, or spaghetti - whatever you can find
- Salt, pepper and cooking oil such as grapeseed
1. Prepare butternut squash: peel butternut squash, remove ends and seeds, and cube. Toss with a Tbsp or two of grapeseed oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and roast at 350 F for 45-60 mins, flipping halfway through. The squash should be soft like a potato when done, and ideally starting to brown for extra flavor.
2. Soften cashews: in a small saucepan, bring some water to a boil, then add cashews. Boil for 10-15 mins. If finished before everything else is ready, let cashews sit in the warm water. This is also a good time to start boiling pasta water in a stockpot with a Tbsp or two of salt.
3. Prep shallot and garlic: thinly slice shallot, and mince garlic. Add to a frying pan with a Tbsp of cooking oil. Cook for 3-5 mins or until soft. When finished, scoop into blender and set aside pan.
4. Prepare sauce: once squash and cashews are ready, put all sauce ingredients into blender, and blend until smooth - 2-4 minutes in a high speed blender. Make sure all ingredients are warm, and use extra caution.
5. Serve: when sauce and pasta are ready, add some sauce to your bowl with some pasta and toss gently with tongs. Top with some freshly ground black pepper and enjoy!
Keywords: butternut squash pasta, butternut squash alfredo sauce, butternut squash alfredo, butternut squash cheese sauce