Nacho cheese sauce
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash cubes
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil, divided
- 3/4 cup softened cashews
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch (optional, can add if sauce needs thickening)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Nachos (all optional except chips)
- Tortilla chips
- Pico de Gallo
- Black beans
- Pickled red onions
- Lime slices
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Meanwhile, peel butternut squash, remove ends and seeds, and chop into cubes. Toss with 1 Tbsp cooking oil and roast at 350 for 45-60 mins, flipping halfway.
2. While the squash is roasting, soften cashews. Boil water in a small saucepan and add cashews. Cook for 15 mins, then reduce to simmer until ready to blend sauce.
3. Sautee roughly chopped shallot in the rest of the grapeseed oil for 2-3 mins, then add minced garlic, cooking for an additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Blend sauce - blend roasted squash, softened cashews, shallot & garlic mixture, soy sauce, lime juice, salt, and hot water with cornstarch for 1-2 minutes, increasing speed every 15-20 seconds. Sauce is done when it's extra smooth and creamy. Make sure all ingredients are hot for smoothest sauce, and use extra caution when blending hot liquids.
5. Build nachos - layer tortilla chips, cheese sauce, and other toppings. Enjoy!
*For best results, all ingredients need to be warm or hot. Butternut squash fresh out of the oven and near boiling water work best.
Keywords: butternut squash nachos, vegan nachos, vegan nacho cheese sauce, vegan cheese sauce