This funfetti cupcake has the softest crumb, and is simply decadent with with the vegan vanilla buttercream icing.
Cake wet ingredients:
- 1/2 stick Miyoko's butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup of aquafaba (juice from a can of white beans) - if you don't have enough, fill in the rest with seltzer water
- 1 and 1/3 cup coconut milk (room temp)
- 3-4 tsp lemon juice
Cake dry ingredients:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles for batter, and extra for topping
- 1 cup butter (or 1 package Miyoko's)
- 1 box powdered sugar (1 lb)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/4 tsp salt (if too sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine lemon juice and coconut milk - set aside for 10 minutes while you put together batter. This is your vegan "buttermilk."
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix softened butter and oil together for 3 minutes or until well combined and homogenous.
- Add granulated sugar slowly, allowing it to incorporate, then mix for another 3 minutes.
- Tablespoon by tablespoon, add aquafaba/seltzer water mix, then vanilla extract. Beat for another 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients.
- In 4 batches, alternate adding the "buttermilk" (coconut milk and lemon) with dry ingredients, starting with buttermilk, and ending with dry ingredients.
- If desired, stir in sprinkles. BEWARE the colors might bleed a bit.
- Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners, and scoop batter into the liners. My scoop is ~1/4 cup, maybe a little more.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-30 minutes, testing with a toothpick or knife (when it comes out clean, your cupcakes are probably ready).
- Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then on a cooling rack for at least 2 hours before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Add softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment. Start on low, and build up speed as powdered sugar mixes in.
- Transfer into a piping bag if desired, or ice using a knife or offset spatula. If icing is too thin, put in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator, and enjoy!
Cake based loosely off Broma Bakery's funfetti cupcakes (but made vegan!)