A more refined (and delicious) take on a childhood favorite.
The main event (required):
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 package (10 oz) vegan marshmallows (such as Dandies)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (such as Jiff Natural)
- 1 Tbsp good vanilla
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
Show-off a little (optional):
- Vegan chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life)
- Extra peanut butter
- Flaky sea salt
The main event:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Add 1 package marshmallows, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once marshmallows are homogenous & melted, add peanut butter (or caramel), and vanilla. Mix well.
- Then add rice krispies, folding into the marshmallows.
- Once all cereal has been incorporated (you might have a few stragglers sticking to the pan, that's ok), transfer to greased baking dish. Spread out with your hands, and chill in the fridge for 10-15 mins.
Add some flair:
- While the treats are cooling, temper your chocolate. First, melt 3/4 cup of chocolate chips. Using a microwaveable dish, I add heat my chocolate chips in 15-30 second increments, stirring in between. Once nearly all chips are melted, remove from microwave and stir. Then, add in 1/4 cup of fresh chocolate chips. They should melt into the mixture, but if they don't, add back to the microwave in 5 second increments. Check out this video for more info. WARNING: tempering chocolate can be a little frustrating at first, and if you mess it up, it's not a big deal. It'll still taste good, but will be a little messier.
- Cut rice krispie treats into desired shape, and dip into chocolate. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- If you want to drizzle with anything else (like peanut butter) or top with nuts, pretzels, or flaky sea salt, now is the time. I melted my peanutbutter in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
- Place into the fridge so the chocolate can harden for 10-15 mins.