This vegan spaghetti bolognese comes together in under 30 minutes but tastes like you spent all day on it.
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 1 package mushrooms
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 12 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 12 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup green or brown lentils (not red)
- 1 tsp salt plus more for salting pasta water
- 1 pound spaghetti or other pasta of choice
- 1 tsp olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2-3 grated carrots
1. First, boil a pot of water for pasta with a generous pinch of salt. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
2. To prepare the bolognese, first dice onions and slice mushrooms. Meanwhile, heat a large flat-bottomed pan with some olive oil on medium heat. Add onions (and carrots if desired) to hot pan and saute for 3-5 minutes, until onions are soft and slightly translucent.
3. Next add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Stir gently every couple of minutes until mushrooms release liquid and shrink to half their original size. Most of the liquid from the mushrooms should have evaporated. If you're using soy sauce, add it. Then add minced garlic, thyme, and oregano. Stir and cook for a minute until you can small the garlic.
4. Now add red wine to the hot pan. It should sizzle a little. Cook for another 4-5 minutes so the alcohol can cook off. Then add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and lentils bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, remove the lid and stir. If too liquidy, let cook with lid off for another 5 minutes. Add pasta to sauce, then place onto plate! Top with vegan parm (or regular parm if desired) and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan bolognese, lentil bolognese, vegetarian bolognese, mushroom bolognese, plant based bolognese