You might not know these vegan twice baked potatoes are dairy free! While everyone else is grilling steaks, whip up a batch of these plant based beauties. The best part? Amazing potatoes require lots of tasting, which is great if you're carb-obsessed with no self control like me.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 c vegan sour cream (such as Forager Project)
- 1/2 c salted butter (such as Miyoko's)
- 1/4 c plant milk (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- vegan cheddar cheese
- chives (optional garnish)
Sautéed mushrooms (optional):
- 1 package mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
1. Prepare potatoes: preheat oven to 350 F. Wash potatoes and wrap in foil. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 mins. When finished, potatoes will be slightly soft (test while wearing an oven mitt, or carefully unwrap and pierce with fork). Let potatoes cool until you can comfortably handle.
2. Prepare mushrooms (optional): meanwhile, sautée mushrooms on medium heat in a little cooking oil. Add a pinch of salt. When mushrooms release juices, add soy sauce and sautee for 2-3 more minutes until mushrooms reabsorb most of the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Scoop potatoes: cut potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop out the insides with a spoon, starting from the middle and working toward edges. Leave a small layer of potato on the skin to hold the shape. Add insides to bowl with butter.
4. Season potatoes: using a hand mixer or potato masher, mix together with butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Add plant milk if needed. Taste and season.
5. Finish potatoes: place potato mixture back into skin and top with sautéed mushrooms and cheese. Bake covered for another 15 mins or until cheese is melted. Garnish with chives and enjoy!
*One serving = 1/2 potato. If this is your main meal, I suggest two halves.
Keywords: twice baked potatoes, vegan twice baked potatoes, vegan potatoes, vegan appetizers,