There is ZERO skimping in this vegan lasagna recipe. We are going at this with everything we have. The best vegan cheeses, a homemade meat substitute that will blow your mind and the best veggies I can find.
Is it a little extra effort? Yes. Will you be rewarded? Absofreakinlutely.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups seitan, pulsed into pea-sized bites*
- 24 oz jar pasta sauce**
- 1 package Miyokos Mozzarella
- 1 package vegan mozzarella shreds
- 1 cup grated vegan parmesean
- 12-16 lasagna noodles with curly edges
- 1-2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Neutral cooking oil (such as Grapeseed)
- 1 tsp oregano (optional)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- Pulse seitan in blender or food processor to create crumbles.
- Thinly slice zucchini and place onto paper towels in one layer. Salt, top with another layer of paper towels, and place something on top of them (I used a sheet pan). The goal is to dehydrate the zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 350 F, then fill a large pasta pot with water, and a generous pinch or two of salt. Bring to a boil, and cook pasta for 4-5 minutes. Place lasagna sheets onto paper towels to cool, do not overlap.
- Meanwhile, prep veggies. Then heat a oil in a flat bottomed pan on medium heat. When oil is hot, add diced onions and carrots with a pinch of salt to soften.
- Once onions are soft (2-3 mins), add minced garlic, mushrooms, seitan, and another pinch of salt. Stir often to prevent sticking. If needed, add a couple tablespoons of water to deglaze pan.
- When mushrooms release juices, add soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos. This will give your sauce a nice meaty kick.
- Add spices if desired, stir to combine, then add pasta sauce or diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 5-10 mins. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Add a quarter cup of pasta water to thicken if needed.
Assemble the Lasagna:
- Start with a little pasta sauce or water to prevent sticking.
- Layer sheets of pasta, 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the zucchini slices, 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat step 2 for your second layer.
- For the final layer, top with sauce, zucchini, mozzarella and parmesan
- Cover with foil or lid, and bake for 30-40 mins, until noodles are cooked and cheese is gooey.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 mins before serving.
- Slice, and enjoy! Top with fresh parsley if you have it!
*My recipe coming soon! Or buy from Whole Foods or other health market. To get into small pieces, I pulsed it in my Vitamix, but you can also use a food processor.
**You can make your own with a 24 oz can of tomato sauce and a couple Tbsp of tomato paste, but it will take a little longer for the flavors to develop. I highly recommend adding the spices if you go this route (oregano, paprika, cayenne). If using mushrooms, add tomatoes and sauce after mushrooms release juices. Otherwise, add after onions are cooked and soft.
***I used a 9x13 dish, and it used 12 noodles - 4 on every layer. Play around with this beforehand, as noodles come in different shapes and sizes.
If you need more sauce, you can add some pasta water, 1/4 cup by 1/4 cup. You can also use pasta water in the bottom of your lasagna pan.
If using no-boil noodles (and didn't pre-cook them at all), add 10-15 minutes to cook time.
Keywords: vegan lasagna, vegan lasagna with veggies, dairy free lasagna, vegan lasagna with zucchini, vegan lasagna with mushrooms, lasagna with seitan