- Bread - bakery loaf preferred, but store bought works too
- Ripe avocado(s)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add-ons (all optional):
- Pickled red onion (thinly sliced red onion + rice wine vinegar marinated for 24 hours)
- Sesame seeds
- Tomato slices
Mix-ins (all optional):
- Lemon or lime juice (use less than you think - maybe 1 tsp. Start with a quarter or eighth, depending on how big your fruit is)
- Red pepper flakes
Extra spreads (optional):
1. Toast the bread: if bread is not sliced, slice into pieces 1/2-3/4 in thick. Using your equipment of choice, toast your bread as desired. If using a broiler, monitor closely.
2. Mash the avocado: slice open the avocado (hotdog style), and remove the pit with your knife carefully. Remove the skin, and place avocado into a bowl. Add desired mix-ins and gently mash with a fork.
3. Add the toppings: to build your toast, add avocado to your toasted bread using a spoon. If you're using or hummus/harissa, add first. Then add toppings and enjoy!