This lightened up vegan carrot cake bread is a perfect snack when you want something a little sweet, but don't want to feel guilty about it. And it's SUPER easy.
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 6 Tbsp aquafaba (juice from a can of chickpeas)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cream cheese icing
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Miyoko's)
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (such as Violife)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp good vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven & prepare pan: preheat oven to 350 F. Meanwhile, grease the inside of a loaf pan with a Tbsp of two of vegan butter. Then add a Tbsp or two of flour and shake around until inside of the pan is covered. Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients: in one bowl, combine all wet ingredients and whisk gently until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients: in a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk gently.
- Add dry ingredients to wet: add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and whick until combined. Pour into loaf pan, and bake for 35-40 mins.* When a toothpick comes out of the middle clean, it's ready!
- Cool carrot loaf: cool carrot cake loaf in pan for 10-15 minutes, then carefully remove from pan, running a dull knife around the edges before turning onto a cooling rack. Cool completely (45-60 minutes) then store in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare icing: while the loaf is cooling, let butter and cream cheese soften on the counter in a mixing bowl, covered. When your loaf is sufficiently cool, beat with other icing ingredients, and gently ice top of the loaf. There might be some icing left - drizzle some on top of your slice if desired for extra sweetness and enjoy!
Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction's Carrot Cake Loaf
*35-40 mins is the benchmark for a 1 and 1/2 lb loaf pan. For a smaller loaf pan, add 3-5 minutes then test with a toothpick. For larger loaf pans, subtract 3-5 minutes.
Keywords: carrot loaf, carrot cake loaf, vegan carrot cake loaf, vegan carrot loaf, vegan carrot bread, vegan carrot cake bread, healthy carrot bread