Welcome to the fourth and final installment of sandwich week! These cookie dough ice cream sandwiches to die for, and don't take more than 20 minutes of actual work. For a long time, cookie dough and ice cream were two of my main food groups, so it's only fitting I put them together.
Cookie Dough Therapy
Growing up, the only thing I loved more than cookie dough was cookie dough ice cream. Every day after school, I'd eat a pint of the stuff. It was my ritual. The kids weren't always nice, so most of the time the promise my big bowl of ice cream helped me get through the day.
The only ice cream shop in our small Virginia town was the Dairy Queen. Sometimes my mom would take my best friend, Tori, and I for an after school treat (cookie dough blizzard, obviously). On rare nights when my dad wasn't working, we'd often make a DQ run. Flash forward 15 years, and we still go after dinner sometimes!
One of my favorite parts about visiting my grandparents in NC was the tube of Toll House cookie dough that awaited us. We'd eat it by the spoonful. Was it the safest thing to eat? No. But it's one of my fondest childhood memories. When I walk into my grandparents apartment, sometimes I can still taste the remnants of chocolate chips melting in my mouth...
Vegan-izing Cookie Dough
So here we are in 2019. As I've established, cookie dough and ice cream are my ride-or-dies. Naturally, I had to put them together.
Originally, I wanted to make an ice cream sandwich with chocolate chip cookies, but they weren't turning out as well as I'd hoped. So I regrouped by taking a trip down memory lane and used cookie dough instead. In my opinion, cookie dough is better than cookies 95% of the time, so it only makes sense. So here I am, with a mind-blowing recipe for vegan cookie dough ice cream sandwiches.
We may or may not have eaten these babies for breakfast...two days in a row...whoops. Sorry mom!Print
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours
- Yield: 16 pieces 1x
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Freezing
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
These vegan cookie dough ice cream sandwiches are to die for. Creamy vanilla ice cream meets perfectly chilled cookie dough topped with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. They're divine!
1 pint vegan ice cream, softened. I used Vanilla
For the cookies
1 cup Miyoko's Vegan Butter (or whatever vegan butter you like)
1 cup light brown sugar
¼ cup agave
1 T vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 and ¼ cups flour
1 T Corn Starch
1 cup dairy free chocolate
For the cookie dough:
- Cream softened butter with light brown sugar, agave, and vanilla until light and fluffy. There shouldn't be any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In parts, add dry ingredients to the wet.
- Once mixed, fold in chocolate. Add nuts if desired.
- Line the bottom of an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Using your hands, spread ½ of the dough mixture evenly across the pan. If you're struggling to keep the parchment paper in place, use double sided tape, or pieces of doubled over tape to hold down the corners.
- Put another piece of parchment paper on top of the first layer and spread on the next layer. Then freeze for at least 3 hours. I froze mine for 24.
- When you're ready to add the ice cream, soften at room temp for 5-10 minutes. When the ice cream is ready, remove the dough from the freezer. Run a table knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the dough sheets. Carefully remove the top layer, and discard the parchment paper from the middle. Spread the ice cream evenly, replace the top layer, and gently press down. Cover, and let freeze for another 3 hours minimum.
- When ready to eat, do the knife along the edge thing again before turning the pan over on a cutting board. You may need to tap the bottom of the pan a little. Cut and enjoy!
Keywords: cookie dough ice cream, ice cream sandwich, vegan cookie dough, vegan ice cream sandwich
Check out the rest of sandwich month!
Week 1: Easy Vegan Sandwich inspired by Dr. Smood
Week 2: Roasted Carrot Sandwich with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Week 3: Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
The Hangry Chickpea
Love these little ice cream sandwiches, they are so delish and easy to make too!