These savory vegan mushroom tacos are perfect for when you're craving a gourmet taco, but don't want to leave your house. The ingredients and techniques are pretty simple, but the flavors cover the basics: salt, acid, fat, and heat. The real kicker? The potato straws on top. Trust me, they're worth it.
Let's walk through the elements, shall we?
- Sautéed mushrooms - y'all already know I LOVE sautéing mushrooms. Honestly, wasn't a big fan until I learned how to cook them properly. The key is adding salt when they enter the pan to release water, and soy sauce once the mushrooms release their juices to add flavor back in. If you love these, definitely give my mushroom udon noodles a try - you won't be disappointed.
- Sweet Salsa - I'm a little lazy and like to buy store bought salsa. Peach, pineapple, and mango all work. Pro tip: strain your salsa before adding to tacos so you don't end up with a big puddle on your plate when you take a bite.
- Tortillas - I don't know what it is about flour tortillas that makes them taste so much better than corn. For warm tortillas like you'd find in a restaurant, wrap a small stack in a foil blanket, and warm in the oven (250 F) while you're prepping the mushrooms and toppings. A warm tortilla makes all the difference.
- Yogurt sauce - I've yet to find a good vegan greek yogurt (might have to explore making my own), so for now, I'm relying on plain cashew yogurt to do the job. Drain the liquid off the top of the yogurt for a thicker sauce, and then whisk everything together.
- Potato sticks - hear me out on this one. These crunchy straws of goodness will take your taco from "pretty good" to "OMG give me 10." If you can't find potato sticks, some potato chips will work. We're looking for that salty crunch.
Can I use regular salsa or pico de gallo instead? Of course, it'll still be good. I was in the mood for a sweeter taco, but this makes sense especially if you can't find plain vegan greek yogurt - the yogurt sauce might be sweet enough already.
I can't find potato sticks, but want the crunch! What do I do? Try potato chips or tortilla chips - those will also do the job for these vegan mushroom tacos.
What size tortilla do you use? Great question - the little baby street tacos (4 in diameter) are perfect for me - I like a higher topping:tortilla ratio, but I've used bigger tortillas as well. Just depends on what your store has!
Vegan Mushroom Taco Recipe
Looking for an accompaniment? These cucumber basil margaritas will knock your socks off!
Want to try a different taco? Check out these brussels sprout tacos.
Let me know what kind of tacos you like in the comments, and if you make this recipe, please leave a rating and review!Print
Vegan Mushroom Tacos
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4-6 tacos 1x
- 1 package thinly sliced mushrooms (2 if you REALLY like them)
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Miyokos) or cooking oil of choice
- 1 cup cashew yogurt (plain, NOT vanilla)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 shakes hot sauce
- pinch salt
- Sweet salsa (peach, mango, and pineapple all work well)
- Potato sticks (such as Pik Niks)
- Flour Tortillas - street size (4 in)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Heat tortillas: wrap 3-6 tortillas in foil and place in oven preheated to 250 degrees.
- Prepare mushrooms: slice mushrooms and shallot thinly, and add to pan on low-medium heat with 1 Tbsp of cooking oil and a pinch of salt. When mushrooms release juices (3-5 mins), add soy sauce and minced garlic. Let cook for 2-3 mins, then remove from heat.
- Prepare Lime Crema: add all ingredients into a small mixing bowl, and whisk until homogenous.
- Optional: Prepare salsa - I like to strain my salsa so I don't have big puddles of juice dripping onto my plate. Take a half cup of your salsa, and strain for a couple mins so the juice drips off.
- Assemble tacos: warm tortilla, small spoonful of mushrooms (make sure to drain off any juice), salsa, lime crema, potato sticks, and cilantro. Enjoy!
These mushroom tacos are life - so simple. The crunchy potato sticks are absolutely genius.
The Hangry Chickpea
Hi Paul - I'm so happy you like these tacos! Those crunchy potato sticks are the best...